PHP Classes

Error: Password error: [AUTH] Web login required: https://suppor

Recommend this page to a friend!

POP3 e-mail client  >  All threads  >  Error: Password error: [AUTH] Web...  >  (Un) Subscribe thread alerts  
Subject:Error: Password error: [AUTH] Web...
Summary:Getting this error message from gmail pop server
Author:John Mamuscia
Date:2017-10-24 20:44:09

1. Error: Password error: [AUTH] Web...   Reply   Report abuse  
Picture of John Mamuscia John Mamuscia - 2017-10-24 20:44:09
Hello, trying to get your pop3 class to work, I've read other forum users comments, but have not seen an answer for this. Any help would be appreciated.

Getting error:
Error: Password error: [AUTH] Web login required: https://support.google.com/mail/answer/78754

Using this code:
require("pop3.php");

/* Uncomment when using SASL authentication mechanisms */
/*
require("sasl.php");
*/

$pop3=new pop3_class;
$pop3->hostname="pop.gmail.com"; /* POP 3 server host name */
$pop3->port=995; /* POP 3 server host port,
usually 110 but some servers use other ports
Gmail uses 995 */
$pop3->tls=1; /* Establish secure connections using TLS */
$user="xxxxxxx"; /* Authentication user name */
$password="xxxxxxx"; /* Authentication password */
$pop3->realm=""; /* Authentication realm or domain */
$pop3->workstation=""; /* Workstation for NTLM authentication */
$apop=0; /* Use APOP authentication */
$pop3->authentication_mechanism="USER"; /* SASL authentication mechanism */
$pop3->debug=1; /* Output debug information */
$pop3->html_debug=1; /* Debug information is in HTML */
$pop3->join_continuation_header_lines=1; /* Concatenate headers split in multiple lines */

2. Re: Error: Password error: [AUTH] Web...   Reply   Report abuse  
Picture of John Mamuscia John Mamuscia - 2017-10-24 21:19:46 - In reply to message 1 from John Mamuscia
Never mind, I got it working. I had to allow apps to access my email.
Sorry for the thread.

3. Re: Error: Password error: [AUTH] Web...   Reply   Report abuse  
Picture of Manuel Lemos Manuel Lemos - 2017-10-25 09:30:26 - In reply to message 2 from John Mamuscia
Good to know. It was weird to figure it was not working with Gmail because it was one of the main types of mail server people use to access with this class.

4. Re: Error: Password error: [AUTH] Web...   Reply   Report abuse  
Picture of Rabi Kumar Dash Rabi Kumar Dash - 2022-09-26 12:13:26 - In reply to message 1 from John Mamuscia
Now that gmail is not allowing the less secure apps for pop3, how should we handle reading gmail inbox

5. Re: Error: Password error: [AUTH] Web...   Reply   Report abuse  
Picture of Manuel Lemos Manuel Lemos - 2022-09-26 23:49:33 - In reply to message 4 from Rabi Kumar Dash
Hello Rabi,

If you are not a paying customer of Google Suite, you must use a more secure solution to authenticate.

This can be done with OAuth support in the SASL package that the POP3 e-mail client class uses.

I have that on my to-do list because the SMTP class also needs that update to be able to deliver messages using Gmail.

I will try to do that next weekend. Can you please wait until this weekend?

6. Re: Error: Password error: [AUTH] Web...   Reply   Report abuse  
Picture of Manuel Lemos Manuel Lemos - 2022-10-11 15:34:44 - In reply to message 4 from Rabi Kumar Dash
Hello Rabi,

I have added support to the SASL package to authenticate using the XOAUTH2 mechanism necessary to support Gmail POP3 server access for free users.

You need to use this script to get an OAuth access token with the POP3 client class:

phpclasses.org/package/2-PHP-Access ...

There is documentation here to create a Google application so you can retrieve the access token that is needed to pass to the POP3 class to authenticate.

phpclasses.org/browse/file/327263.h ...

Can you try to follow these instructions and check if you can access the Gmail POP3 client and then let me know if you have any difficulty?